"How To Excel" Mini-Tutorials|
"Helping Average Spreadsheet Users Become Local Spreadsheet Experts"
Quickly Convert Text To Lower Case
Have you ever had data in a worksheet where all the text was
all uppercase? Then you had to retype it all to get it into
lowercase? No more!
Next time here's what you can do:
You can also use the UPPER and PROPER worksheet functions to
- Find a blank cell to the right of the cell containing
the uppercase text and enter the formula =LOWER(origtext).
- Replace 'origtext' in the formula with the address of the cell
that contains the original uppercase text i.e. =LOWER("A1").
Excel will instantly convert it to lowercase.
- Copy the formula down for each cell you want to convert.
- Select all of the cells containing the formulas and click
- Select all of the cells containing the original text and click
Edit, Paste Special, Values, and OK.
- Go back and delete the cells containing the formulas.
NOTE: It's always a good idea to backup your data before making
wholesale changes to it like this. Better safe than sorry.
Why not print (CTRL+P) this tip and share it with your friends and associates?
Get more time-saving tips just like this one delivered to you by email every week in my FREE newsletter "Spreadsheet Tips From An Excel Addict". Subscribe at the www.TheExcelAddict.com/Newsletter.htm.
You'll be amazed how much time you'll save just by learning a few of these tips.|
Copyright © 2003 All Rights Reserved by Francis Hayes (The Excel Addict)