"How To Excel" Mini-Tutorials|
"Helping Average Spreadsheet Users Become Local Spreadsheet Experts"
Rotate Your Column Headings
Sometimes you may find that you are working with data that
requires narrow columns but your headings are wider than will fit
in the column? You could try Word Wrap (Format, Cells,
Alignment, and put a checkmark in Word Wrap). However, sometimes
that may not be what you need.
For example, I have a worksheet to keep track of attendance for
my all-star soccer team. I have all the players names listed down
the left column and I have the dates of the practices across the
top. Because I enter an 'o' to denote each players attendance for
each practice, my worksheet requires only narrow columns. However
my dates don't fit to the column width.
So, in order to display my dates without having to make my
columns too wide, I change the orientation of my headings so that
they are on an a 45 degree angle.
Just try it.
As you can see, this gives you very nice looking column headings.
I bet you'll find lots of uses for that.
- On a new sheet, adjust the width of columns C to H to 5.
- Enter todays date in cell C2 (CTRL+;).
- Drag the fill handle (the small black square on the bottom-right corner of the selection) and drag it across to cell H2.
- Now select Format, Cells, Number, Date, and select the format that matches DD-MMM-YY (or something similar).
- Select Format, Cells, Alignment, enter 45 in the Degrees box and click OK.
- With your heading cells still highlighted, select Format, Cells, and click the Border tab.
- Click on the Outline button, the Inside Button, and click OK.
Why not print (CTRL+P) this tip and share it with your friends and associates?
Get more time-saving tips just like this one delivered to you by email every week in my FREE newsletter "Spreadsheet Tips From An Excel Addict". Subscribe at the www.TheExcelAddict.com/Newsletter.htm.
You'll be amazed how much time you'll save just by learning a few of these tips.|
Copyright © 2003 All Rights Reserved by Francis Hayes (The Excel Addict)